Honey Extraction: We are happy to provide honey extraction services for our fellow beekeepers. This service is ideal if you're just getting started and don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in an extractor that you will have to store throughout the year. As Dolly says “we save a lot of marriages” since you do not have to worry about getting your house all sticky. Just bring your honey supers and food grade buckets and let us do the work for you. We usually have less than a week turnaround time for extraction.
We have a fully furnished honey kitchen with state of the art equipment. Our kitchen is cleaned and re-set daily for each new extraction service. We will first run your frames through our Dakota Gunness chain uncapper. Our uncapper is finely adjusted to just open the wax cells without removing much wax at all. Once your frames are uncapped, they are placed in one of our Dadant 20 frame motorized extractors which will spin the honey out of your frames. We run the extractor for at least an hour, or until no more honey flings out. Once completed, we tilt the extractor up, open the honey gate and allow your honey to pour through a strainer into your 5 gallon, food grade bucket. The strainer will remove bee parts and wax pieces, while still letting the essential pollen pieces pass through with your honey. We will not apply any heat during the extraction process.
Rocky Mountain Bee Supply Honey Extraction Information Sheet
July 20—Oct 30, 2021
Rocky Mountain Bee Supply Honey Extraction Information Sheet 2021 July 20—Oct 30. Drop off times will be Tuesday-Friday from 10:30am- 2:00pm. Saturday from 10:30am- 12:00pm.
Due to the high demand of extraction services, and limited capacity of the honey kitchen, if you miss your appointment or are 30 + minutes late to your scheduled appointment, you will have to reschedule for another available day. We typically book out every day for the entire season, so please make every effort to be on time. Thank you for understanding.
Please call to make an appointment to drop off: 719-375-5094. Extractions are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY DURING SEASON.
· $50 for up to 20 medium frames. $ 1.50 per frame after that.
· $60 for up to 20 deep frames. $ 2.50 per frame after that.
· $5 charge per bucket/lid if we have to clean it before extraction.
· $10 charge to remove residual live honeybees from tubs AND/OR cut out brood cells from frames.
· $25 additional charge PER 10 frames to reserve your wax cappings: you provide a separate bucket with lid.
· $50 additional charge for escorted extraction with a staff member.
How to prep your frames for extraction:
1. Please make sure honey is CAPPED on both sides of frame. We can extract uncapped frames, but it may ferment your honey. All customers must sign a waiver acknowledging the possibility of fermentation.
2. Please remove ALL the bees from your frames. There is a $10 charge to remove excess live bees in tubs.
3. FRAMES: We can not extract frames with brood, mold, wax moth, live bees or crystalized honey. Please check all of your frames carefully. To check for crystalized honey puncture a capped honey cell and rub between your fingers or taste it. If you feel table sugar granules, they honey has crystallized and it will not come out of the frame. Crystalized frames are a great resource to give to your bees.
4. We do not extract frames that have wire and wax foundation as they tend to blow out in the extractor. We only extract frames with plastic foundation or solid plastic frames. NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Label ALL of your totes and buckets and lids with your last name.
6. Super and Deep frames should be brought in a just the frames in a large plastic tote WITH A LID THAT FITS. ALL TUBS MUST HAVE A LID SO THAT THE HONEY FRAMES ARE CONTAINED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ANY FRAMES IN HIVE BOXES OR GARBAGE BAGS. THIS IS NON-NEGOTIABLE. WE WILL REFUSE YOUR EXTRACTION IF YOU BRING YOUR FRAMES IN IN OPEN TUBS. This is for health and cleanliness reasons.
7. We extract into ROUND food-grade 5-gallon buckets ONLY. You may provide your own 5-gallon food grade bottling bucket or you may purchase one from us. Buckets must be no taller than 14.5”. NO EXCEPTIONS.
8. We do a rough strain through two-tiered small and medium gauge strainers to remove wax pieces. Let us know if you don't want it strained. WE DO NOT STRAIN THROUGH CHEESECLOTH. NO EXCEPTIONS.
9. We do not jar your honey. We recommend you purchase a bucket with a honey gate for easier jarring.
10. Once your honey leaves the store, we are no longer responsible for it, so transport it carefully.
We do NOT heat your honey...so we like to give it overnight to drain down the sides of the tank so you get more of your honey. Please make sure this will fit in your time budget.
We are not responsible for broken/damaged frames or boxes. We do our best to be careful with your equipment and get it back to you in the same shape you delivered it.
Depending on the viscosity of the honey, the time to complete an extraction can vary.
We do not guarantee a finish time.
Rocky Mountain Bee Supply reserves the right to refuse an extraction. A staff member will determine if the frames will be a viable extraction.
Thanks for choosing Rocky Mountain Bee Supply!
Lindsey Phillips, General Manager